- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Right Blend Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 cup red wine, divided
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons leaf thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black medium grind pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 wheel (2 pounds) French Brie cheese, packed in a wooden box
- 2 loaves French baguettes, sliced
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions; sauté until just tender, about 6 minutes. Add dates and almonds. Reduce heat to medium. Cook onions about 25 minutes, until golden brown in color, stirring often. Add garlic and 1/2 cup of the wine; cook and stir until most of the liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle brown sugar, thyme and cinnamon over onions and sauté until soft and browned, about 10 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup wine; stir until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add pepper and salt; cool.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Unwrap Brie, reserving the bottom of the wooden box. Cut away only top rind of cheese, leaving rind intact on bottom and sides. Return Brie to box, rind side down. Place box on baking sheet. Spread onion mixture evenly over top of Brie. Bake about 20 minutes, until cheese just melts. Transfer Brie to a platter; surround with baguette slices.