With Mazola® Vegetable Oil
Recipe created by @mydigitalkitchen
2 Hours 32 Minutes
- ¾ cup room temperature vegan butter
- 3 Tbsp Mazola vegetable oil
- ½ cup monk fruit sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup blanched almond meal
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup cranberry orange jam (or any jam of choice)
- ½ cup marmalade
- ⅓ cup monk fruit powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, use a stand or hand mixer and cream the vegan butter, vegetable oil, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Fold in egg yolks and lemon zest until incorporated, but don’t over mix.
- Sift in flour, almond meal, cinnamon and salt into the butter mixture. Switch to a spatula and mix the batter until a dough forms. Divide the dough into quarters (into 4), and wrap them individually with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove one piece of dough from the refrigerator at a time. Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it out to ¼ inch thickness. Use a 3-inch cookie cutter or holiday shaped cookie cutters. Don’t cut them too thin, otherwise they might burn.
- Place the shaped cookies on the lined baking sheet. Cut out a top for each cookie, using a smaller cookie cutter or even the base of an icing tip to cut out the center so the jam will be exposed. Repeat with the remaining cookie cutouts. If the dough gets too soft, place it in the freezer for about 5 minutes to firm up again. A firm dough ensures that the cookie shapes hold up well.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack until cooled. Once cooled, spread the bottom half of each cookie, alternating between the cranberry orange jam and marmalade, leaving a thin border around each cookie. The jam ensures that the cookies stick together. Place the top of each cookie with the middle cut out on its corresponding bottom half. Return to the cooling rack so that the cookies seal completely. Top with monk fruit powdered sugar if using.