Ice Cream Filling:
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy (about 15 round candies)
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Fleischmann’s® Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup Mazola® Vegetable Oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Ice Cream Filling:
- Soften ice cream in a large mixing bowl at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in crushed peppermint candies until well blended. Line two 9 x 9-inch square pans with plastic wrap and spread an equal amount of ice cream mixture in each. Mixture will be about 3/4-inch thick. Press another layer of plastic wrap on top of ice cream and freeze for at least 2 hours.
For the Cookies:
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a bowl until well blended; set aside.
- Beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer for 1 minute or until well mixed. Add flour mixture at medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes until well blended.
- Divide dough in half. Form each half of dough into a 9 x 9-inch square on parchment or wax paper. Cover squares with another layer of paper and freeze for at least 2 hours or up to 1 month. (Dough should fit easily on top of prepared ice cream).
- To bake cookies, preheat oven to 350°F. Remove dough from freezer; thaw briefly for 5 minutes, then roll to smooth and flatten if needed. Cut dough into 3 x 3-inch squares and place 1 inch apart on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until cookies are set and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool cookies for 1 to 2 minutes on baking sheet; transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
To assemble ice cream sandwiches:
- Cut ice cream into 3 x 3-inch squares. Place ice cream on bottom of one cookie and top with a second cookie. Wrap in foil and keep frozen until ready to serve.