Sunflower Seed Crema:
- ½ cup of sunflower seeds, soaked overnight
- 1 ¼ cup of water
- ¼ teaspoon of citric acid
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 4 potatoes
- ½ of 1 white onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon epazote
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of MazolaCanola Oil
- Salt to taste
- 7 pasilla peppers (deseeded), cut into pieces
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of Mazola Canola Oil
- ½ of a white onion, chopped
- 6 tomatillos
- 2 cups of water
- ½ cup of sunflower seed crema
- Salt to taste
- Corn tortillas
- Mazola Canola Oil
- Potato filling
- Pasilla sauce
- Sunflower seed crema
- Marigold flowers for plating
- Soak the sunflower seeds overnight OR bring them to a boil for 15 minutes. Rinse with water and set aside.
- Blend the sunflower seeds with water and citric acid in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Add salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes, then add them to a large pot of salted, boiling water.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes, and mash them with a potato masher. Set aside.
- In a large pan over high heat, add Mazola Canola Oil, onion and a dash of salt, and sauteé the onions until golden brown.
- Add the mashed potatoes, then the epazote leaves. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of Mazola Canola Oil and stir frequently.
- Add salt to taste.
- Peel the tomatillos, wash them and set them aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, toast the pasilla peppers for about 30 seconds on each side, do not burn them. Set aside and let them rest for 5 minutes in a pot filled with hot water.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of Mazola Canola Oil in a medium saucepan, add the chopped onion, tomatillos in halves and garlic, and a dash of salt, stirring occasionally until you see golden brown spots and the colour of the tomatillos changed from vibrant green to a pale green.
- Set aside and let the mixture cool down.
- Blend the tomatillo mix with the pasilla peppers and water.
- Bring them to the saucepan over medium heat and cook for about 7- 9 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the sunflower seed crema and salt to taste.
- Lightly brown each tortilla with Mazola Canola Oil, and set it aside on a plate.
- Take each tortilla, fold it and fill them with the mashed potato mix, pour over the hot pasilla sauce and finish with a drizzle of sunflower seed crema and fresh white onion.
- Add a few petals of yellow marigold for a festive garnish!
Recipe created by @veganartisan