Low Fat Banana Muffins or Loaf
With Mazola® Vegetable Oil
12 MUFFINS OR 1 LOAF
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup SUGAR IN THE RAW®
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Fleischmann’s Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg OR 2 egg whites
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup low fat OR nonfat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Crown Golden or Lily White Corn Syrup
- 2 tablespoons Mazola Canola Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons SUGAR IN THE RAW®, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. NOTE: If using dark nonstick muffin pan, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, SUGAR IN THE RAW®, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Blend egg, mashed bananas, buttermilk, corn syrup, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Add to flour mixture; stir just until blended.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 greased (2-1/2-inch) muffin cups.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon SUGAR IN THE RAW® on top of each filled muffin cup.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Remove; cool on wire rack.
TIP: Muffins freeze well for later use. To rewarm individual frozen muffins, microwave uncovered on MEDIUM (50%) for 30 to 35 seconds (10 to 15 seconds if muffin is at room temperature).
LOW FAT BANANA BREAD LOAF VARIATION:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare batter as directed in steps 2 and 3 except pour batter into a greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Bake 50 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- Serve warm or finish cooling on wire rack.