- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup Mazola Vegetable Oil
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup (175mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175mL) Beehive OR Crown Golden Syrup
- 1/4 cup (60mL) margarine OR butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon (2mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250mL) pecan halves
- Mix flour and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Pour Mazola vegetable oil and water into measuring cup – do not stir.
- Add liquids all at once to flour mixture.
- Stir with a fork until just moistened.
- Make dough into a ball.
- Roll the ball of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper, forming a circle approximately 12 inches in diameter.
Note: Dampen work area by wiping with a wet dish cloth to prevent wax paper from slipping.
- Remove top sheet of wax paper; place hand under bottom sheet of paper and invert crust pastry into a pie pan, paper side up.
- Carefully remove paper while gently fitting pastry into plate (take care not to stretch pastry, as this will cause shrinkage).
- Trim pastry 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; fold extra pastry under (even with edge of pie pan).
- Flute edge using tines of fork or by creating a scallop pattern using fingers.
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Place pie pan on baking sheet; brush inside with egg yolk.
- Bake 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir together in large bowl, eggs, sugar, corn syrup, margarine and vanilla until well combined.
- Place pecan halves in bottom of prepared crust.
- Pour egg mixture over top.
- Return to oven; bake 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted near centre comes out clean. (Do not over bake.)
- Cool on wire rack 1 hour.
- Invert plastic liner over pie; store in refrigerator