- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- Mazola Corn Oil, for frying
- 2 cups imitation crab sticks (about 15 sticks)
- 1/2 cup kewpie mayo or regular mayonnaise
- Avocado, sliced
- Thinly sliced chives, for garnish
- Chopped furikake, for garnish
- Sliced chili peppers, for garnish
- Edible flowers, for garnish
- In a fine strainer, rinse the rice with cold running water, until water runs clear.
- Pour rice into pot with 2 cups cold water.
- Bring uncovered rice to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to low, cover with lid and cook for 10 min.
- Remove pot from heat and allow to sit, covered and undisturbed for 15 min.
- In a small bowl, add rice vinegar, sugar and salt and stir until dissolved. Alternatively, place in microwave for 45 seconds or until sugar and salt is completely dissolved.
- Pour mixture over cooked rice and fold in gently, covering all the rice.
- Line a 9×13 or 8×8 baking sheet with plastic wrap.
- Add your rice in a thin even layer, making sure to press down firmly.
- Allow rice to chill in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours.
- Cut crab sticks into small pieces, about 1/4 inch in length.
- In a medium sized bowl, using your hands, shred crab meat into smaller pieces.
- Add mayonnaise and mix thoroughly.
- Once rice is chilled, remove from fridge and cut into squares.
- Add approx 1 to 1 1/2 cup Mazola Corn Oil to a medium sized pan over high heat.
- Add rice squares and fry until golden brown on each side.
- Take a crispy rice square and layer sliced avocados on top.
- Add a spoonful of crab mixture.
- Garnish with chopped chives, furikake, sliced chili peppers and edible flowers.
Recipe by: Bobbie