With Mazola® Corn Oil
- To deep fry, Mazola Corn Oil
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann’s Quick Rise Yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Fleischmann’s Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- Extra bread flour for rolling beignets
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oil for frying to about 350°F.
- Oil should be at least 2-inches deep, if a deep fat fryer isn’t available an electric skillet works well for frying beignets.
- Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Heat buttermilk and water to very warm (120°F to 130°F).
- Mixture may look curdled.
- Add to flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add remaining 1 cup flour and mix well. Dough will be sticky.
- Place dough on very generously floured surface.
- Roll dough to a 9 x 15-inch rectangle, adding more flour as needed.
- Cut into squares, 4 x 6.
- Fry 3 to 4 beignets at a time, turning occasionally until well browned, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Cool a few minutes, then generously sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately.