- 1 package of thawed puff pastry
- 3 tbls of unsalted butter
- 3 tbls of Mazola Vegetable Oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced into thin rings
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbls of fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbls of brown sugar
- 1 cup of crumbled goat cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tsp of water season with salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter and add Mazola Vegetable Oil.
- Add the sliced onions and 1 tsp of salt and cook until golden and soft (about 15 minutes).
- Stir in minced garlic until fragrant. Add in balsamic vinegar and sugar and cook until reduced and thick (about 5-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove the puff pastry from the fridge. Using a 7cm round cookie cutter or glass cut out approx 12 circles.
- Score 1 ½ cm from the edge with another smaller cutter being careful not to cut all the way through the pastry.
- Spoon the onion mixture into the scored areas of each circle.
- Top with crumbled goat cheese and fresh thyme.
- Brush edges with egg mixture.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with more fresh thyme and season to taste.