- 2 tbsp. Mazola Canola Oil
- 3 green onion chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red & green peppers
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 5 pimento seeds crushed
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup canned black beans rinsed
- 1/4 cup carrots diced
- 2 cups washed long grain rice
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (use ¼ cup more broth if you like your rice softer, more wet)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
FOR THE CHICKEN MARINADE:
- 3 chicken quarters (3 legs 3 thighs bone in)
- 1/2 tsp sazon/all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp chicken seasoning
- 1 tbsp. wet jerk marinade
- 1/4 tsp browning (optional)
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- Season chicken with marinade ingredients – coat evenly and let it sit for 4 hrs. up to overnight in the fridge.
- In a non-stick pan, heat 2 tablespoons of Mazola Canola Oil over medium high heat. Sear chicken in the oil for 3 to 4 to minutes on each side until golden brown.
- After searing, leave about 1 tsp of oil then deglaze the pan with 2 to 3 tbsps. of broth. Move the chicken to one side of the pan and turn heat to med low. Add black beans, onions, garlic, carrot, peppers, thyme, curry powder, a pinch of salt and pepper to taste plus scotch bonnet pepper (if using).
- Sauté until fragrant then add rice, broth and coconut milk. Mix to combine then simmer on low for 30 mins. After 30 mins, turn off the stove and let it sit for another 10 minutes for the rice to finish steaming through. Enjoy!
Created By @jamroxkitchen