- 2 lbs of boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp salt water, to cover
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and chopped
- Mazola’s Corn Oil, for frying
- 20-24 corn tortillas
- Lettuce, shredded
- Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Red onion onion, chopped
- Salsa or salsa verde
- Crema or sour cream
- Cotija cheese or feta, crumbled
- In a medium sized pot, add all ingredients and enough water to cover chicken.
- Bring to a boil over medium to high then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 15 min or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from water and allow to cool. Once cooled, shred chicken using a fork.
TOMATO SAUTÉ :
- Add all ingredients to a pan over medium heat and cook for approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauté to shredded chicken.
PREPARE FRYING OIL:
- Add about 1 1/2 inches of oil to a large sauté pan and heat over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 350°F.
- To test, add a small piece of tortilla into the oil; the oil should sizzle once it’s ready for frying.
PREPARE THE TORTILLAS:
- Place corn tortillas in a lightly damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for approximately 45 seconds, flipping the tortillas halfway through until all of them are warm and pliable.
- To keep them warm, wrap tortillas in a clean kitchen towel.
- Place a heaping spoonful of the shredded chicken onto the edge of tortilla.
- Tightly roll up each tortilla and secure it by threading a toothpick along the edge.
- Add 3 to 4 flautas at a time into the frying oil.
- Fry for 2 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Transfer them to a paper towel lined plate or baking sheet.
- Remove the toothpicks from the flautas.
- Serve on plates and top with with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, salsa verde, salsa, guacamole or crumbled cotija cheese or feta.
* Alternatively, you can use a store bought cooked rotisserie chicken and salsa to save time on steps 1 and 2.
Recipe by: Bobbie Rose