With Mazola® Corn Oil
4 hours 15 minutes
- 8 ounces salted cod OR fresh cod*
- 7 cups water, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Fleischmann’s Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Mazola Corn Oil
- Dash salt
- Dash black fine grind pepper
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- Approximately 5 cups Mazola Corn Oil
- Soak salted cod in 4 cups water for 4 hours, changing water occasionally.
- Drain and rinse under cold running water.
- Combine cod with 3 cups fresh water.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 20 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork.
- Drain well.
- Remove skin and bones; flake.
- Set aside to cool
- Combine flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup water, egg, 1 tablespoon corn oil, salt and pepper.
- Whisk until batter is smooth.
- Stir in flaked cod, garlic, parsley and jalapeño.
- Pour corn oil into a large, deep skillet or saucepan, filling no more than 1/3 full.
- Heat over medium heat to 375°F.
- Carefully add cod mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls, a few at a time.
- Fry, turning once, 3 minutes or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with favourite dipping sauce.
*NOTE: If using fresh cod, omit soaking and add 1-1/2 teaspoons salt to cod mixture in step 3.