- 40 g all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 540 g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packets of Fleischmann’s Quick Rise yeast (8g per packet)
- 1 tspn Fleischmann’s Bread Booster
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons Mazola Vegetable Oil
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup warm milk (100 deg F or 38 C)
- 1 egg, plus 1 tbsp water (whisked together)
Optional materials for decoration: edible pen, ribbons, flowers
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine flour and milk.
- Stir the mixture frequently until it thickens (about 2 to 3 minutes)
- Remove the thickened mixture from the heat, cover, and let cool to room temperature.
MAKING THE DOUGH:
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Combine and mix the tangzhong, Mazola Vegetable Oil, eggs, and warm milk together, then add this mixture to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- If using a stand mixer, use the dough hook attachment to mix and knead the dough for about 15-20 minutes until the dough becomes smoother, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed
- If mixing by hand, work and knead the dough for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the dough becomes smoother
*Note that the dough will be very wet and sticky but will become more cohesive as you continue to knead.
SHAPING AND PROOFING:
- Shape the smooth dough into a ball, cover with a cloth or plastic wrap and let it rise for about 1 hour until it has doubled in size
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and divide it into 18 equal pieces.
- Roll 12 pieces of dough into balls. With the seam side down, place two balls onto a parchment-paper-lined sheet pan and make sure the balls are touching each other. This will form the head and body of the bunny. Continue with remaining dough balls until 6 bunny figures are made.
- Cut the remaining six pieces in half and roll each half into 12 long ropes, each about 8-10 inches long. Fold each rope in half pinching the ends together to create the bunny ears, and tuck the ends under the ‘bunny head’. Repeat to create the rest of the bunnies.
- Loosely cover the bunnies with a cloth or plastic wrap, and let the dough rise for 40-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F (180C).
- Brush the bunnies with egg wash.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before decorating.
Recipe created by @myfoodnation