Fresh and Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
With Mazola® Canola Oil
- 2 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons Mazola Canola Oil
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime peel
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush one side of tortillas with oil.
- Place tortillas directly on oven rack and bake 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp.
- Set aside to cool.
- Combine chicken broth, chicken, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin and salt into a large pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot and slightly cool on cutting board.
- Shred chicken using two forks and return to stockpot.
- Stir in grated lime peel and cilantro.
- Simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve each bowl topped with crumbled baked tortillas.