- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann’s Quick Rise Yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- To deep fry, Mazola Corn Oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, salt and nutmeg in a large mixer bowl.
- Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120°F to 130°F).
- Gradually add to flour mixture.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add egg and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with 2-1/2-inch or 3-inch doughnut cutter.
- Knead together trimmings; re-roll and cut.
- Place doughnuts on greased or parchment lined baking sheets.
- Cover; let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a deep fryer or deep heavy pan to 375°F.
- Fry 3 to 5 doughnuts at a time, for 2 minutes or until browned, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Use tongs to dip doughnuts into Powdered Sugar Glaze while warm.
- Cool on wire racks.
TO MAKE POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE:
- Combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Stir until smooth.