- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup toasted and finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup Mazola® Vegetable Oil
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 7 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Combine flour, sugar, nuts, soda and salt. Add water, oil, egg yolks and vanilla; beat until smooth using an electric mixer.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tarter in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter. Pour into ungreased 10-cup angel food cake pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Remove cake from oven and immediately invert pan onto glass bottle or metal funnel; cool completely.
- Remove cake from pan. Frost top and sides with Mocha Buttercream.
- Beat butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and 3 tablespoons coffee; beat until very light and of spreading consistency. (Add additional coffee if needed to obtain desired consistency).
Recipe Tip: To toast hazelnuts, spread in a single layer in shallow baking pan; toast at 375º F for 5 to 10 minutes, shaking pan once or twice . To remove skins, rub nuts, while still warm between palms of hands or in a kitchen towel.