- 1/4 cup Crown Lily White Corn Syrup
- 2 cups milk
- ½ lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 8- 1” thick slices of day old French bread (or other thick bread slices) as needed about (2-3” of oil to cover bottom of pot) Mazola Corn Oil
- Deep fryer or large pot with a deep-fry or candy thermometer
- Using a medium saucepan, combine milk, corn syrup, lemon peel and cinnamon stick.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until bubbles begin to form, not boiling, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a plate or dish large enough to dip your French toast in for coating after frying.
- If using a deep fryer follow manufacturer’s instructions and set temperature to 375°F, (this may require more oil).
- If using a large pot, add oil to fill 2-3” deep, set to medium-high heat. Use a deep-fry or candy thermometer to maintain a temperature of 375°F, oil should not smoke.
- Pour beaten eggs into a large shallow dish. Working in batches, dip the bread in the warm milk mixture until soaked, lift with a large slotted spoon or spatula and drain slightly before dipping in beaten eggs, flip over to coat well on both sides, lift and drain slightly before placing carefully in hot oil.
- Work in small batches, don’t overcrowd your pan, as your temperature will drop too low and you won’t get a nice crispy result.
- Fry for about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove to paper towels to drain, then dip in cinnamon sugar.
- Repeat with remaining pieces until completed.
- Serve immediately.