Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan Croutons
With Mazola® Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup Mazola Canola Oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire roasted, diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan Croutons*
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in tomatoes, basil and half of the broth; bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and puree mixture until smooth using a blender or immersion stick blender.
- Add remaining broth, stir well and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Roast your own tomatoes when in season.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Halve 2 pounds small tomatoes or quarter medium tomatoes and place cut side up on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 3 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven and use in soup in place of canned fire roasted tomatoes.
- For a creamy version of this soup, stir in a few tablespoons of half and half or heavy cream.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place bread slices in skillet and toast lightly on both sides pressing surface of bread gently using a flexible spatula.
- Sprinkle toasted bread with Parmesan cheese, flip and cook for 30 seconds or until lightly browned.
- Repeat for remaining side.
- Remove from heat and transfer croutons to a cutting board.
- Cut into 1-inch cubes or triangles using a serrated knife.