With Mazola® Canola Oil
4 1-1/2 CUP SERVINGS
- 1 cup no-salt-added tomato juice
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur As needed, cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons Mazola Canola Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16-ounce) cans no-salt-added pinto or kidney beans
- 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water
- Bring tomato juice to a boil in microwave or on stovetop in a medium bowl or pan.
- Add bulgur, stir several times, and set aside.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Add oil and swirl to coat bottom of pot.
- Cook onion and garlic for about 3 minutes, or until onion is soft and garlic is aromatic, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients except water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in water and bulgur mixture; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 20 minutes to allow the flavours to blend.
Tip: Bulgur is made of wheat berries that have been cooked and drained. It makes a good substitute for ground beef in many recipes. Bulgur soaks up liquid, so add more water for soupier chili and when re-heating leftovers.