- 3 tablespoons Mazola Canola Oil
- 4 tablespoons chicken flavoured boullion
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 whole bay leaves
- 2 ounces chopped salt pork OR bacon
- 4 ounces sliced Spanish chorizo
- 3/4 cup diced smoked ham
- 1-1/2 cups diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced carrot, optional
- 1 tablespoon miced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon black medium grind pepper
- 2 cups cubed Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 cup cubed, peeled turnips
- 3 cups cooked, drained white navy beans or great northern
- 3 cups chopped fresh tender collard greens OR kale
- Stir bouillon into hot water to make broth, add bay leaf and set aside.
- Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add salt pork and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned.
- Discard rendered fat.
- Add oil to pot and stir in chorizo and ham; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until meats become browned.
- Add onion, carrots, garlic and spices; continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, turnips, beans and prepared broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through and tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Stir a handful of chopped greens into each bowl just prior to serving. (Greens can also be added to the soup with potatoes for a longer cook time, if desired.)
Recipe Note: To cook dried beans, soak 2 cups (1 pound) navy beans overnight. Drain off soaking water and combine soaked beans, 6 cups of water, 4 teaspoons chicken flavour bouillon, a 4-ounce piece of meaty ham bone and 1 bay leaf in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until beans are cooked through and tender.