- 3/4 cup Fleischmann’s Corn Starch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Fleischmann’s Baking Powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black fine grind pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup beer OR water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Approximately 1 quart Mazola Corn Oil
- 4 cups fresh okra, trimmed
- Combine corn starch, flour, baking powder, garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl.
- Add beer (or water) and egg; stir until mixture is smooth.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a deep pot over medium heat to 375°F.
- Dip okra into batter, stirring batter occasionally.
- Fry a few pieces at a time, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.