- 2 tablespoons Mazola Canola Oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds beef chuck roast
- 3 cups Barola OR Barberesco wine (or other full bodied Italian red wine)
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf thyme
- 1 whole bay leaves
- Freshly ground sea salt grinder and black whole grinder pepper
- Generous shaving whole nutmeg
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and carrots. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes. Move vegetables to the sides; brown all sides of chuck roast. Add wine, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours, until meat is fork tender.
- Place roast on serving platter; cover and keep warm. Puree vegetables and cooking liquid in a blender until smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary. Add freshly ground nutmeg. Serve with the roast.
Recipe note: For a thicker pan sauce, dissolve 1 tablespoon corn starch in 2 tablespoons cold water. Return pureed juices to pan and add corn starch mixture. Bring to a boil and heat for 1 minute.