- 3 tbsp Mazola Canola Oil
- 1 kg glutinous rice, soaked for 5 hours & set aside
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 1.5 cups pork stock (from cooking the pork)
- 2 tbsp Mazola Canola Oil
- 3 pcs ginger
- 8 cloves garlic, pounded
- 1/4 cup shallots
- 1.5 lbs pork belly, cut into 1-inch pc
- 10 pc medium dried shiitake mushroom, cut in half & soaked in 2 cups of water for at least an hour & drained; save liquid for later
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 pc of a dried tangerine peel
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
- 1/2 tsp chicken powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Chinese rice wine
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 cup peeled chestnuts
- 1/2 cup dried shrimp soaked in 2 cups water for at least 2 hours & drained; save 1 cup of liquid for later
WRAPPING THE DUMPLINGS:
- 40 pcs dried or fresh bamboo leaves, follow package instructions on how to prepare it before wrapping the filling
- kitchen twine, cut to 20 strings, long enough to wrap each dumpling
COOK PORK FILLING:
- In a medium high heat wok, add 2 tbsps of Mazola Canola Oil and sauté ginger, garlic, and shallots until translucent.
- Add pork and sauté until pork is browned, around 5-6 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- To the wok, add the star anise, bay leaf and tangerine peel. Add the seasonings above, and the reserved mushroom and shrimp soaking water. Lastly, add water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer. Cover pot with lid and cook until pork is tender, around 40-50 minutes.
- Once pork is tender, remove it and the mushrooms and set aside. Add chestnuts and soaked & drained shrimp, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pot and set aside. Set aside 1.5 cups of the pork stock and set this aside for the rice.
- In a medium-high wok, add 3 tbsp of Mazola Canola Oil. Once heated, add soaked & drained rice and sauté for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add Chinese five spice powder, soy sauce, and pork sauce and mix until thoroughly mixed together, around 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
ASSEMBLE & COOK DUMPLINGS:
- Fold 2 bamboo leaves together into an upside-down pyramid. Put a tablespoon of rice inside and push down to the tip of the cone, then top with a piece of pork, a mushroom, a few shrimp, and 1-2 chestnuts. Top with more rice and push down with a spoon.
- Fold leaves over to seal the dumpling. Don’t worry about the shape as long as the filling is secured by the wrap. Tie string tightly around the leaves.
- Bring water to a boil in a large stock pot and add the steamer portion on top. Put in the dumplings on the steamer pot, and close the lid. Cook over medium heat for 1½ hours. Remove from the pot and cool. Serve with tomato ketchup or hot sauce.
Created By @yvrhomecook