- 2 lbs pork short ribs cut into 1-2″ chunks
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp chicken seasoning powder
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp Mazola Canola Oil
- 2-3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 1/2 cups coconut water
- 1 cup Mazola Corn Oil
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tspn salt
- 3-4 eggs
- Parboil the ribs for 3-4 minutes to remove the scum. Rinse clean and pat dry. Add garlic, shallots, salt, pepper, and seasoning powder, and mix well. Let sit for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, make the caramel by adding Mazola Canola Oil and sugar to a large pot over medium heat. Heat until the sugar melts and turns an amber colour. Be careful to not let the sugar burn or you’ll have to start over. Once the desired colour is reached, add the ribs and fry until browned on all sides.
- Next, add the coconut water and fish sauce. Carefully mix through, cover the pot and let simmer on medium-low for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the lid, stir the ribs, and let braise uncovered for another 20 minutes or until the liquid is reduced and the sauce is thickened.
- In a medium saucepan, heat Mazola Corn Oil over medium heat for about 30 seconds. Test the temperature of the oil by dropping in a single slice of scallion. If it sizzles, the oil is ready. Carefully add all of the scallions to the oil and let fry for 30 seconds, Remove from heat, add salt and stir.
- Take 3 tablespoons of the scallion oil and add to a skillet. Heat on medium high until the oil is shimmering. Crack an egg one at a time into the skillet and fry sunny-side up until desired doneness.
- Plate and garnish the ribs with chopped green onions.
- Serve the ribs with a bowl of hot steamed rice, topped with a fried egg and drizzled with scallion oil.