Creamy Mushroom and Barley Soup
With Mazola® Canola Oil
9 1-1/2 CUP SERVINGS
- 3/4 cup very hot water
- 1/2 to 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Mazola Canola Oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 to 2 medium carrots, diced
- 16 to 20 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/4 teaspoons fresh thyme, lightly crushed
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup barley
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- Combine the hot water and dried mushrooms in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat a 4-quart stockpot over high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat the bottom of pot.
- Put onions and carrots in pot and cook for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables start to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in fresh mushrooms and thyme; cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 5 cups water, broth, barley, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Drain dried mushrooms and add soaking liquid to pot.
- Chop mushrooms, then stir into pot along with parsley and salt.
- Combine milk and flour in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and shake until completely blended.
- Add to soup; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least 2 minutes. Stir in sherry.