Crispiest Fried Chicken
With Mazola® Corn Oil
2 HOURS 15 MINUTES
- 1 Liter water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, drumsticks, etc.)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Fleischmann’s® Corn Starch
- 4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Fleischmann’s® Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3 Liters Mazola® Vegetable Oil
For Chicken Brine:
- Whisk all brine ingredients in a large bowl until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- Add chicken. Cover and refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes.
For Fried Chicken:
- While the chicken brines, stir together flour, corn starch, pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, baking powder and cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the flour mixture to a shallow pan (to use for dredging the chicken).
- Set aside.
- Add 3/4 cup cold water to the remaining flour mixture and whisk the batter to thoroughly combine. (if the batter seems to be too thick, add some cold water, no more than 1 tablespoonat a time, until the batter becomes the consistency of pancake batter.)
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or deep-sided pan over medium heat until it reaches 350°F. Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Remove chicken pieces from the brine; pat dry with paper towels. Discard the brine.
- Working in batches, dredge or roll chicken in the dry flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Place chicken in batter and turn to coat.
- Remove the chicken from batter, allowing excess to drip back into the bowl.
- Carefully place half the pieces in the hot oil.
- Adjust the heat as needed to keep the oil between 300° to 325°F.
- Cook until the chicken coating is a deep golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 160°F for white meat or 175°F for dark meat. This will take about 20 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces.
- Remove from oil and place chicken on wire rack to drain.
- Bring the oil temperature back to 350°F before repeating with remaining chicken.
- Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
- Spicy Fried Chicken – Increase cayenne pepper to 1 tablespoon and add 1/4 cup hot sauce (tested with Frank’s® Hot Sauce) to batter.
- Herbed Fried Chicken – Add 1 tablespoon ground sage, 1/2 tablespoon ground thyme and 1 tablespoon dried rosemary to the flour mixture.