FOR THE CAKE:
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons dried lavender
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 3-½ cups ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon Fleischmann’s Baking Powder
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Mazola Vegetable Oil (plus extra for greasing)
FOR THE ICING:
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 teaspoons of dried lavender
- 1-½ cups of icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8” cake pan with a bit oil, and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, grind brown sugar and lavender together for 2 minutes until well incorporated and the essence of lavender permeates the sugar.
- Using a fine grater, grate the zest from the lemon and oranges.
- Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground almonds, lavender/sugar mixture and baking powder, mix together well.
- Add in the eggs, oil and zest, mix well.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove and place on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- To make the icing, bring the water and lavender to a boil in a small saucepan, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile squeeze the juice from the zested lemon and oranges into a cup.
- Strain out any pulp and seeds.
- In a mixing bowl, add the icing sugar.
- Strain the lavender from the water, add the lavender water to the icing sugar, with a whisk mix well.
- Add the citrus juice and continue mixing until well incorporated and smooth.
- If your icing is very runny add a bit more icing sugar, a tablespoon at a time.
- Pour icing over your cake and spread evenly. Enjoy!