- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-½ tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1 lemongrass stalk, outer leaves removed, white part only, chopped finely
- 2 long red chilies
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (SE Asian style)
- 1 tablespoon Mazola RightBlend Oil
- 2 tablespoons Mazola Canola Oil
- 1.5 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 can (14oz) coconut milk
- 3 cups sweet potatoes chunks, peeled, sliced ¾” thick, and quartered
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Fleischmann’s Corn Starch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice Cilantro to garnish, if desired
- Instant Pot, mortar and pestle or small food processor
- To make the curry paste, place the red onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and chili in a mortar and pestle and mash until it becomes a paste, stir in spices and Mazola RightBlend oil. Or add all ingredients to a small food processor, blend until it becomes a paste.
- Marinate the chicken in the paste for at least 30 minutes, or overnight in fridge.
- Remove chicken from marinade, take excess paste off and reserve.
- Turn on Instant Pot to Sauté to brown chicken.
- Add Mazola Canola Oil to pot and then chicken, skin side down, working in batches, do not overcrowd the pot.
- Brown 2 to 3 minutes then flip and repeat on other side.
- Remove from pot and side aside until all chicken has been browned.
- Add onions to pot along with water, sauté for 5 minutes, deglazing bottom of pot, scraping up any browned bits.
- Next add reserved paste, sauté for 2 minutes then add the tomatoes, stir to combine, pour in the coconut milk, mixing well, scraping bottom to release any brown bits.
- Add the sweet potatoes and place chicken on top, along with any juices.
- Turn off sauté function.
- Lock the lid and turn valve to Seal position, set to Poultry setting for 15 minutes, or Manual, High pressure, 15 minutes.
- Allow a natural release for 10 minutes.
- Press cancel, open lid carefully, remove and strain out chicken and potatoes and any large chunks.
- Thicken remaining sauce, set pot to sauté, remove about a ¼ cup of sauce, mix well with cornstarch, once sauce is bubbling pour cornstarch mixture into pot and stir for about one minute, turn off pot, stir in lime juice.
- Serve with jasmine rice and fresh chopped cilantro, if desired.