- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temp
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups apple, peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and spices in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk oil and sugar, then add eggs and vanilla and if thoroughly.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined.
- Add apples and mix.
- Optional: you can add walnuts or pecans, about 1/2 cup.
- Pour mixture into a lined 9” spring form pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Insert a skewer and if comes out clean, it’s done.
- Allow to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar.
- Add a dallop of cream cheese frosting and crushed walnuts (optional)
MAKE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Beat softened cream cheese and melted butter in a bowl until combined.
- Add vanilla extract and powdered sugar and mix well.
Recipe by: Bobbie Rose